Examine the Strategy
What Do You Do?
Think about how you already use Hawaiian culture and traditions for classroom management and to help students learn about Nā Mea Hawaiʻi -- Hawaiian geography, history, and culture. Include field trips, classroom displays, guest speakers, and lessons that address these areas. Then answer the following questions:
- How do you build on Hawaiian culture and traditions?
- How do you connect Hawaiian values or the ʻōlelo noʻeau (wise sayings) to the Hawaiʻi Content and Performance Standards?
- What tools do you use or need to teach about Hawaiian traditions and values?
- What are the benefits of using Hawaiian cultural traditions to enhance learning? What works?
- What are the challenges?
- What questions do you have about this strategy?